We provide one-to-one advice, on-going support, scheduled parenting programmes and a drop-in group for young mums and dads. We have a female and a male advice worker who are specialists in supporting young parents. Our services are open to any and all parents up to the age of 25, including parents-to-be, step parents, and those who have been separated from their children. We support couples, single parents and non-resident parents. You might want to talk to us about:
• Preparation for birth and beyond
• Parenting skills and childcare – including parenting programmes
• Relationships and contraception
• Issues affecting separated parents – including child contact arrangements
• Mediation/parenting plans
• Child welfare and development
• Legal rights and responsibilities
• Safeguarding procedures or issues with children’s services
• Benefits and money
• Housing advice
Where and when?
Our Young Parents Drop-In is on Wednesdays from 1.30-4.30pm at our Norwich centre. It takes place in its own separate room on the ground floor and is a safe, welcoming space to come with your children. You can pop in for a while or stay all afternoon. Activities include:
• ‘Stay and Play’ or ‘Make and Take’: an informal creative activity for you and your child, or for those who attend without, make and take something away for them. This runs every week
• Free refreshments
• One to one advice for individuals or couples
The drop in is a place for young parents to get special, professional advice about issues that might concern them; whether they are practical things such as child benefit; or legal problems – perhaps to do with access; emotional problems or matters relating to health and lifestyle, their child’s as well as their own. But it is also a social thing too, where young parents can meet people their own age to share the highs and lows of being parents.” Sarah, MAP’s Young Mums advice worker.
Our Young Mums worker is also available for one to one advice, either by appointment or drop in, every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, 1.30-5.30pm, at our Norwich centre. Our Young Dads worker is available for one to one advice, either by appointment or drop in, every Thursday afternoon, 1.30-5.30pm, also at our Norwich centre.
Circle of Security: STARTING 30th APRIL 2019.
Circle of Security Parenting Group for mums and dads aged 25 and under.
Are you a parent with a child under 4?
Would you like to:-
- Better understand your child’s emotional world
- Support your child’s ability to successfully manage emotions
- Enhance the development of your child’s self esteem
- Build a stronger and secure relationship with your child?
The Circle of Security Parenting group uses a series of DVD scenarios of ‘real’ parents, infants and toddlers. Through the use of the DVD clips, simple graphics, handouts and supportive discussion, parents can learn to increase their observations of their children’s needs, develop new insights and feel more confident to respond to their children.
This is a 10 week course and runs on Tuesday afternoons from 12.30. Includes a free crèche. Next group starts on Tuesday 30th April
Pathway to Parenting: STARTING 8th MAY 2019.
We are now taking bookings for our next antenatal programme, Pathway to Parenting, which starts on 8th May 2019. It is open to all young mums and their partners, living anywhere in Norfolk and is free of charge. If you live outside Norwich we can help with travel costs (see Travel Bursary below). The program is over 5 weeks, on Wednesday afternoons, from 4.00 to 6.00 pm.
The full dates are: 8thMay, 15th May, 22nd May, 29th May and 5th June.
TO BOOK ANY OF THESE COURSES OR JUST HAVE A CHAT:
- Text or call Andy on 0773 656 1973 to find out more, who will contact you after 24th April 19.
- Call the main number on 01603 766994 if you have any queries
We have a small bursary available to help with travel costs for anyone who wants to attend our Wednesday group or attend either of our parenting programmes. Please speak to a member of staff.
Keep up to date with activities and other courses on offer by following our Young Parents Facebook Page.